Please note: the Hubert Bals Fund is for Dutch Producers only.
Annually, between 20 to 40 filmproductions are realised with the support of the Hubert Bals Fund. In order to stimulate Dutch producers to get involved in international co-productions, and to support Hubert Bals Fund projects in the stage of actual production, The Netherlands Film Fund and the HBF set up Hubert Bals Fund Plus.
The Hubert Bals Fund of International Film Festival Rotterdam supports filmmakers from developing countries with contributions in the stages of script development, post-production and distribution. Approximately half of the films that are realised with support from the HBF are made in cooperation with European co-producers. International Film Festival Rotterdam would like to offer Dutch producers the opportunity to participate in international and artistically acclaimed productions through the extensive network of the Hubert Bals Fund.
As of 2006, The Netherlands Film Fund makes €200.000 available each year for Hubert Bals Fund Plus. Applications can be granted with a maximum of €50.000 to a Hubert Bals Fund project that has already received Script and Project Development support from the HBF, and co-produced by a Dutch producer.
The Hubert Bals Fund Plus Guide is available for download here
(PDF file - update July 2014).
This guide contains all eligible projects and contact details of eligible Dutch production companies.
NEXT DEADLINE: 1 October 2014.
Regulations and details on How to Apply:
No Application Form is required! Results will be announced approx. 6 weeks after the deadline.
- The project should have previously received support by the HBF in the stage of Script and Project Development
- The project should have a Dutch producer attached
- The Dutch producer has been responsible for at least one feature film with a cinema release in the Netherlands
- The project should be submitted by the Dutch producer
- 50% of the Contribution of the HBF Plus should be spent in the Netherlands
- The total budget of the film should not exceed 800.000 Euro
Applications shall be reviewed by the Hubert Bals Fund and The Netherlands Film Fund. The following elements will be taken into account:
- The artistic quality of the project
- The Filmography of the director and the attached producers: Please note that there is a preference for projects with other European co-producer(s) attached
- The participation of the Dutch producer: Please note that priority is given to creative and meaningful Dutch expenditure
- The financial plan of the project: Please note that there is a preference for projects where financing from the country of production has been secured.
- Cover letter of Dutch producer
- Updated synopsis
- Director's statement
- Script (in English)
- Total budget
- Finance plan (listing the contributions of attached partners)
- Expenditure plan of Dutch producer (written explanation)
- Company Profiles of all involved producers
- Production Schedule
- Bio/Filmography and previous work of director (DVDs or a link available online)
- Written explanation on distribution strategy / audience engagement plan for finished film
Please send all requested materials as a single PDF dossier to email@example.com
indicating "HBF Plus" in subject line.
Please send one
hard copy dossier (containing all
requested documents) to:
International Film Festival Rotterdam
Attn: Hubert Bals Fund
P.O. Box 21696
3001 AR Rotterdam